So did I mention I am in New York City? Hopefully I haven’t gotten lost, misplaced my wallet or injured myself (I am writing this on Tuesday evening).
Make sure to also tune into the Savings Story live streaming session on the Save Up Ustream page at 4:15PM ET today to hear some of the DealPros’ stories live! You don’t want to miss all the fun planned!
We are supposed to share our Savings story with you but mine has been laid out for you many times so I thought I would share my five simplest tips for saving money! These tips (plus alot of hard work and having multiple jobs) allowed me to pay off almost $20,000 in student loans in 12 months and be debt free (except my mortgage).
1. Pay for everything with cash. Did you know on average people spend 12% less when they spend cash? If you do your shopping with cash (clothes, food, electronics) you most likely will spend less if you have to give them the green instead of swipe a card.
2. Make a shopping list. You have GOT to have a plan when you shop, whether you are shopping for clothes or for groceries. If you can’t walk out of Walmart or Target without spending over $100 you probably need to make some changes. Create a list before you leave the house and then do NOT deviate from it. You can do it!
3. Start saving something. Studies have shown that people experience SIGNIFICANT stress when they do not have a savings account. Women especially NEED to feel that security that is something happens you have that cushion. Even if it just $5 a week you will have over $250 at the end of the year.
4. Do not go into debt for holiday shopping. Your friends and family do not want you to go into debt for their gifts. If you have big plans for a gift either start saving now or decide on something else. It’s not worth starting the New Year with regret.
5. Start teaching your kids about money. Start teaching your children the value of a dollar now. They are going to be one of your biggest expenses. And if they don’t learn their lessons now, they will be living back with you later in life still trying to figure it out!
These simple steps can help make some BIG differences in your life! And not one of them involved a coupon!