The Museums for All Initiative is a program from the Institute of Museum and Library Services that is working to make Museums accessible to families who may not otherwise be able to visit.
Participating museums have committed to offering individual admission fees ranging from free to $3.00 to individuals and families presenting a Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card, and a valid form of photo ID.
Description: A museum visit can inspire the development of new skills and interests, ignite creativity and enrich social connections. Museums for All will help expand access to museums and also raise public awareness about how museums in the U.S. are reaching their entire communities. By removing the financial barrier, Museums for All also removes the social and academic barrier families face when they are not exposed to high-quality museum experiences.
In Virginia the following museums are currently listed as participants:
- Amazement Square (Lynchburg, VA)
- Children’s Museum of Blacksburg (Blacksburg, VA)
- Children’s Museum of Virginia (Portsmouth, VA)
- Danville Science Center (Danville, VA)
- Explore More Discovery Museum (Harrisonburg, VA)
- George Mason’s Gunston Hall (Lorton, VA)
- Science Museum of Virginia (Richmond, VA)
- Virginia Museum of Natural History (Martinsville, VA)
- Blowing Rock Art & History Museum (Blowing Rock, NC)
- Charlotte Nature Museum (Charlotte, NC)
- Children’s Playhouse (Boone, NC)
- Discovery Place (Charlotte, NC)
- Discovery Place KIDS – Huntersville (Huntersville, NC)
- Discovery Place KIDS – Rockingham (Rockingham, NC)
- Kaleideum – North (Winston-Salem, NC)
Thanks My Active Child!