I confess- I held out on getting a smart phone for a long time. I didn’t want the extra cost for the data plans and the phone themselves aren’t exactly cheap.
Fortunately there are some ways that your phone can actually SAVE you money- making that phone bill seem a little less painful.
1. Ibotta– Is my favorite rebate app. It works at just about any popular grocery store, some retail stores and restaurants and a few theaters. It allows you to earn cash back on commonly purchased items (even things like bread and milk). After your shopping trip you take a quick photo of your receipt and the bar code of the product you bought and the cash will be credited to your account. Once your account hits $5 you can transfer the money to Paypal or cash out for a gift card!
Plus, if you sign up and redeem your first purchase/item within the next 10 days you will receive a $2.00 bonus. Just make sure to use it within 10 days of downloading it.
They also have bonuses! Be sure to check out how Ibotta bonuses work!
2. Checkout 51– It’s very similar to ibotta (you get cash back on everyday groceries that you buy) but it is not picky about what store you use. Which means if you don’t shop at a chain store you can still earn cash back on things like: produce, milk, and eggs! Just be sure the receipt says clearly what the item is. They offer you a $1 bonus for the first receipt you submit! Sometimes I am able to Ibotta AND Checkout51 together and get double cash back on milk, eggs and other items that both of them are sponsoring.
3. Download Store Apps: Most big stores now have their own store apps. Kroger, Target, Harris Teeter and Walmart are just a few I can think of off the top of my head. If you have a favorite store take a minute to look through your app store and see what’s available. Or you can google it and see what else pops up. Most of them have extra coupons and money saving tips you can use in store!
4. Favado – Favado is the newest app to me- I just started using it a little while ago. It lists all of the sales at over 65,000 grocery & drug stores and compares their prices (unfortunately in my area it is still missing one of our big stores). Then it matches the items up to coupons. Next, it gives you a link to the online coupons or tells you where to find the offline coupons and calculates the total after the discount. Finally, Favado allows you to add any items you want to a shopping list. By using coupons and stocking up on the best deals this app saves me tons in the store. Plus I am a contributor so I watch it to make sure everything is top notch!
5. Online Price Matching– Did you know many stores will price match online prices? Target, Walmart and Best Buy are just a few of the big stores that participate. Let’s say you are in Target and pick up a book. It’s $19.99. Using your phone you discover it is $15.00 on Amazon.com. Just take it up to customer service, show them your phone and they will sell you that book for $15! Each store is just a little bit different so take some time to get familiar with their policies before you go.