I paid my way through college travelling with a music team sponsored by the school. While I spent much of my time eating summer camp food we occasionally got to stay in homes with families. Which means I got to eat some FANTASTIC food.
Now most of it was way above my cooking capacity but there were a few dishes that seemed easy enough for even me to do. This is one of them. I have made it lots of times since and now I want to share it with you!
It can be made in a variety of sizes and you can add lots of different ingredients so it’s perfect for most people.
1 box of ice cream sandwiches- the bigger the box, the bigger the cake (I usually do a 24 sandwich box)
1 jar of chocolate syrup- you can use Hershey’s chocolate syrup if you like it thin, I prefer the really gooey hot fudge type
1 tub of Cool Whip- anything from the fat full to the fat free kind is fine
Any other toppings you might want- I am partial to crushed Oreos
1. Find an appropriate sized pan. When I get the larger box of sandwiches I use a 9 X 13 but you can eye ball it
2. Pull enough ice cream sandwiches out of the freezer to cover the bottom of the pan. Leave the rest in the freezer.
3. Unwrap the sandwiches and cover the bottom of the pan.
4. Cover that layer with Cool Whip. On top of the Cool Whip layer the chocolate and any other toppings you may like.
5. Add another layer of ice cream sandwiches. Lay them in the opposite direction of the bottom layer. (Be sure you keep them in the freezer until you need them so they don’t melt on you.)
6. Continue adding layers until the cake is as thick as you like. Top it off with oreos, fruit or nuts.
And that’s it- pretty simple. Store it in the freezer until you are ready to eat!
You won’t even need to buy ice cream to cut the sweetness because it’s already inside!
Thanks to Crystal Tuxhorn for the beautiful ice cream shot up top!