If I were to look in your coat closet right now, what would I find? A mess of coats, shoes and who knows what else? That’s what my coat closet looked like too–until I set out to find some serious coat closet organization. If your closet is in serious need of closet organization help too–check out what I did with mine. It wasn’t hard, it didn’t take long (less than an hour) and you can do it for free.
Why deal with a messy coat closet when you don’t have to? These cheap closet organization ideas will help you get your closet clean in a hurry.
1. Start with a messy closet.
2. Take everything out of it. Yes, everything.
3. Sweep the floor and wipe down the walls while you’re at it.
4. You could even throw some of the coats in the wash if they need it!
Throwing shoes on the floor wasn’t working so I got this awesome shoe divider instead. Now our shoes are picked up out of the way, and everyone can find their own shoes at a glance!
5. Put everyone’s shoes in the divider. Throw out or donate shoes that no longer fit or that have holes. (I did re-stack a few pairs of hand-me-down shoes in the closet for when the littlest one grows into them.)
I needed a good way to keep all of our hats and gloves organized as well. These baskets did just the trick! I put my kids winter gear in one and my husband’s in the other–so he can find what he needs easily.
6. Fold everyone’s gloves, hats, scarves, etc neatly in baskets. Throw out or donate items that no longer fit or that have holes. Place baskets on shelf.
Next, it was time to rehang the coats. I swapped out our old metal hangers for a few sturdier plastic ones I had on hand.
7. Rehang coats that your family actually wears. Donate or throw away coats that no longer fit or that have holes in them. Be sure to hang coats your family wears the most frequently toward the front, and nicer coats you don’t wear quite as often near the back.
8. Now that your closet looks great, you still have to deal with everything that’s left on the floor. Find a good home for it–whether you need to donate it, trash it or give it away. Whatever you do, don’t just stuff it all back in the closet!
9. Enjoy your nice clean closet!
Coat closet organization really isn’t that difficult, you just have to do it. The above process only took me about 45 minutes, and I did almost all of it with things I had on hand. (I did purchase the hanging shoe divider and the baskets, but you certainly don’t have to.)
If your closet needs some closet organization help, I hope this tutorial inspires you to get your closet cleaned out as well. Let me tell you, you will feel so good once it’s finally done!