This is a fantastic Apple French Toast Casserole recipe. Two of my favorite foods in the world are french toast and apples so I was thrilled to get the chance to combine them.
And then drown them in syrup.
Though not necessarily great for my waistline this recipe tastes amazing!
It made my entire house smell delicious and it was a great way to start the day.
What you will need:
2 cups Whole Milk
½ cup Heavy Whipping Cream
2 tsp. Cinnamon
¼ tsp. Nutmeg (optional)
¼ tsp. Salt
2 tbsp. Vanilla
10 slices Sour Dough Bread either torn or cut into 1 inch cubes
½ cup All Purpose Flour
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
¾ cup Sugar
1 stick cold butter cut into slices
2 tbsp. butter
3 baking apples (I used Cameo because that is what I had in the house)
- Grease a 9×13 dish with butter or spray.
- Cut or tear slices of bread into cubes and spread out evenly in dish.
- In separate bowl mix milk, cream, sugar, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla and then pour mixture over bread.
- Cover and put in fridge for 2-8 hours.
- In another bowl mix flour, brown sugar, and salt. Add cubes of cold butter and mix until it looks like small pebbles. (I find it fastest to use hands for this step) Put mixture in sealed container and put in fridge with bread mixture.
- When ready to bake peel, core, and dice apples.
- Sauté diced apples in pan with 2 tbsp. butter until start to get tender.
- Pour apples evenly over top of bread mixture then evenly sprinkle brown sugar mixture on top.
- Place 9×13 dish on a cookie sheet (in case of spillage) and bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour. The more firm you like it the longer it needs to cook. I cooked mine for 55 minutes.
When ready to enjoy top with butter and syrup.
Be sure to follow A Frugal Chick on Pinterest to keep up with all the best stuff!