The presents have been opened, the songs have been sung and the egg nog bowl is empty. Time to start the after-holiday shopping madness!
Before we start talking specific deals lets look at some general tips:
1. Returns. If you can don’t do your returns the day after Christmas. The lines are going to be crazy long. Unless you have something particular you want that you fear will not be around on Tuesday hang on. It will be much less hassle.
2. Avoid impulse buying. Just because something is deeply discounted doesn’t mean you need it. So evaluate your decisions carefully.
3. Buy for next year’s holiday. There are some things you can guarantee you will need next year for the holidays- go ahead and grab them. Things like Christmas candles, holiday scented body lotions and other items like that make great gifts. Go ahead and buy them now. Toys are the same way- if you bought for a 3 year old this year they will be four next year. You should be able to do some age appropriate shopping now. No matter what you do during the year Christmas is always December 25th- it shouldn’t be a surprise.
4. Fill your gift closet. If you are going to weddings, baby showers or birthday parties in the next 12 months you can get some awesome deals on gifts now. Newleyweds rarely register for holiday items but they will need them. Items like placemats, centerpieces, dishes and decorations make great wedding gifts. The stores will be deeply discounted their toys as well so those will work for both showers and birthday parties!
5. Read the fine print on your gift cards. Most of them can be used online as well as in store and free shipping is becoming pretty normal now this time of year. So if you would rather shop in your pajamas go for it!
6. Don’t forget the small businesses in your community. Call your favorite local stores and see what kind of sales they are having. Check their websites and facebook pages for additional information as well.