Fridays are especially busy for our family because the kiddos are taking swim lessons at the Rec Center in Va Beach. They love it and are learning how to be fish in the water. Swim lessons start at 6, so by the time we get home from work and change clothes there is not much time for dinner.
I was at Wal Mart the other day grabbing some groceries for a cooking class I was teaching to high school students and I saw Healthy Choice meals in the freezer section. I have always been a fan of Healthy Choice and occasionally take the meals to work with me for lunch. With only 300 calories you would be surprised at how good these taste. I bought 3 of their Top Chef dinners knowing they would be healthy and quick for dinner that night. I also purchased 1 box of Healthy Choice dark chocolate swirl frozen greek yogurt for dessert. The greek yogurt comes in a pack of 3 and each cup is only 100 calories. I had a coupon for each which meant dinner for the night was going to be a bargain!
The Healthy Choice dinners were a huge hit with the family and I did not feel guilty for giving them to my family. They were just what I needed to provide my kiddos with a healthy meal and get us out of the door on time.
After returning home from lessons I allowed the kiddos to have one of the dark chocolate swirl yogurt cups. They disappeared before I could get a picture so I would say they were a big success.
As our kiddos get older, our schedules seem to be getting busier but that does not mean I want to start substituting healthy meals with fast food. Here are a few tips that I find helpful to maintain healthy eating habits while living a busy life.
- Meal Plan! Every week sit down and plan out your breakfasts, lunches, and dinners. Include snacks too if your kids still need them during the day.
- Purchase produce on sale.
- Buy frozen veggies to save money.
- Check for coupons. Most coupons are for staple items and processed food but you can find coupons for healthy foods like this! You can check out these coupons for Healthy Choice Greek Frozen Yogurt and Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers!
- Read your labels!
- Pre-chop and pre-bag your veggies and fruit so that when you are running out the door you just reach in the fridge and grab a bag of carrots or slices of apple.
My kiddos just had birthdays and at their well checks the doctor was telling me that healthy eating habits start now. So take the time to plan healthy meals for your family to ensure that a good example is being set for living a healthy lifestyle even when we are in a busy season of life.