Check out this recipe for French Onion Soup by Charlotte at Stretching Your Budget. Prep time should be about 25 minutes and will cook for 9.5 hours on low or 4.5 hours on high.
- 3 large onions, sliced (3 cups)
- 3 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) ready-to-serve beef broth
Cheesy Broiled French Bread
- 8 slices French bread, 1 inch thick
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (3 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons grated or shredded Parmesan cheese
- Mix onions and margarine in 3 1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high heat setting 30 to 35 minutes or until onions begin to slightly brown around edges.
- Mix flour, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and pepper. Stir flour mixture and broth into onions. Cover and cook on low heat setting 7 to 9 hours (or high heat setting 3 to 4 hours) or until onions are very tender.
- Prepare Cheesy Broiled French Bread. Place 1 slice bread on top of each bowl of soup. Serve immediately.