- A Frugal Chick - http://www.afrugalchick.com -
How To Negotiate Newspaper Home Delivery Prices
Posted By Laura On February 23, 2013 @ 10:00 am In Simple Steps | Comments Disabled
As a couponer the newspaper is a pivotal tool in my arsenal of savings. And since (atleast in my town) you receive better coupons when you get a subscription to the paper than you do when you buy it a drug store or gas station getting the paper delivered is necessary.
While in some large cities people may have more than one paper to chose from most of you are only going to have one option for the paper. Since they have a monopoly it is important to get the best deal possible. I have found in most markets the price of the paper is negotiable- very rarely do I see a flat rate everyone pays.
I get e-mails about once a week asking how to get the best price on our local paper. I thought these same tips might be helpful for the rest of the country as well.
1. Figure out what it would cost to buy the paper every week. In my area you can grab the local paper at the Dollar Tree. So I can get 6 months of the paper with little trouble from the store for $26. That sets my base price.
2. Then I call the paper and get their starting price. Let’s say it’s $60 for 6 months. Then I ask if there are any sales. Most of the time they say no.
3. Then I ask if there are any gift card deals- often they will give free months or gift cards to local grocery stores or restaurants. My goal is to get down to that $26.
4. If the price has not gotten any lower I will let them know that I can buy it at the store for $26 so I will not be paying any more than that.
5. If they still will not lower the price I tell them to call me back when the paper hits $26 and give them my phone number. Everytime I have done that they have called within 24 hours with a lower price.
6. My rule of thumb with the newspaper is that you should receive one paper per person in the house who is eating. So for a family of 4 you need 4 papers. All the major papers will deliver multiple copies to your house at a discounted rate. So once you get your base rate ask what the cost is per additional paper delivered.
Newspapers realize that couponers are an important part of keeping them in business- people are getting more and more of their news online and the papers are making their money through ads.
So make sure to get the best deal possible- this is an additional way or saving some money!
Article printed from A Frugal Chick: http://www.afrugalchick.com
URL to article: http://www.afrugalchick.com/how-to-negotiate-newspaper-home-delivery-prices/
Copyright © 2013 A Frugal Chick. All rights reserved.