Hot Cocoa Marshmallow Cupcakes
These Hot Cocoa Marshmallow Cupcakes are completely adorable. I think they would make fantastic gifts if you prepared them IN coffee cups before you decorate them. Wrap them in cellophane and you have a perfect gift for many occasions!
And, much to my surprise, they were SUPER easy to do. I had a friend helping me who is creative. She took two seconds and said “like this?” and it was perfect.
- Whatever chocolate box cake you would like to make (or you can make from scratch)
- Icing (you can either make your own or use store bought since the icing is simple)
- Mini Marshmallows
- Hershey’s Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Red and White Striped Straws (I got mine at Target or you can order through the link)
- Make the cupcakes according to box. Be sure to let them cool completely. (Since this decoration is pretty easy you can do it on small or large cupcakes.)
- To make the icing shape on the top we used an Wilton Extra-Large Round Tip #1A . Basically any open tip will work- you just need the opening to be fat.
- To get the mocha color I wanted for the “froth” we used Wilton Paste Colour – Brown and then slowly added blue food coloring until the color was perfect. You do want to stir it to be sure to get that smooth look. Between the stirring and the tip you should be good.
- You can see in the picture above we did three different shapes for the froth
1. Starting in the very middle of the cupcake swirl counter clockwise out until you have a nice circle. That’s how I did the little one on the bottom.
2. If you like the one on the left pretend to draw a daisy. Start in the center and draw out five or six filled in petals.
3. If you like the one on the right (my more experienced friend did that one) start in center and make circles with wavy edges.
Pretty much with the icing you just need a glob. I am by no means an icing expert and I was able to make it look okay.
- Place three or four marshmallows on top of the froth.
- Sprinkle a little bit of the Unsweetened Cocoa Powder on the top.
- Cut the straw to the desired length and insert it into the cupcake.
And NOW you are done! It really was so much more simple than I thought it would be.
If you like these check out the Marshmallow Peep Cupcakes!