Welcome to Cooking For One Recipes! This series is designed for those of us who don’t need recipes for big meals- just enough for one person to eat without a ton of leftovers. Or, if you are feeding a large family, you can certainly alter the recipes to whatever amount of people you need!
Make-Ahead: Steak Fajitas
I came across this recipe and knew it was worth saving (It came from Real Simple in June 2008)! What is so great about this is you can make this ahead of time and then just freeze a few bags until you’re ready to cook it –up to 3 months later. Total prep time is 10-15 minutes then you just seal it in a Ziploc and pop in your freezer. I’m not a huge spicy fan so I cut out the jalapenos and there is still a little kick, but you can add the jalapenos if you choose.
- 1 pound flank steak (I used sirloin steak and it worked great, too)
- ½ onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced and seeded
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- kosher salt
- 2 1-quart re-sealable plastic freezer bags
(I also added about 3 tablespoons Sofrito tomato base per bag. It just helped add a little more flavoring. You can use any tomato base here if you wish, just for a little extra sauce). If you’ve never used Sofrito before, check it out here.
Freeze it: In a large bowl, combine the steak, onion, bell peppers, chili powder, hot sauce, and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Add Sofrito or tomato base if desired. Divide ingredients evenly among the two bags and freeze.
When You’re Ready to Make
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 small flour tortillas, warmed
- store-bought refrigerated fresh salsa (optional)
1) In a large skillet, over medium heat, heat the oil (use 1 teaspoon per serving).
2) Empty the frozen contents of the bags into the skillet. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally to break up ingredients, for 10 minutes.
3) Raise heat to medium-high and cook, uncovered, until the vegetables are tender and the steak is cooked through, 2 to 6 minutes.
Serve with the tortillas and, if desired, the salsa. The flavors are so good, you may find yourself going back for the second bag!