- A Frugal Chick - http://www.afrugalchick.com -
Chicken Gyro Recipe
Posted By Jana On June 26, 2013 @ 8:08 am In Cooking For One Recipes | Comments Disabled
This Chicken Gyro Recipe combines a yummy marinade and easy to make Tzatziki Sauce. You can make all the ingredients ahead of time and keep them in the fridge for a quick week night meal. Most of the ingredients I keep on hand regularly.
You need whatever kind of chicken you prefer. Generally I do boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
For the Marinade:
2 cloves garlic, minced (I buy the pre-minced jars)
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/8 cup diced onions
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp dried oregano
dash of salt and pepper
1 pack pita bread (not the kind with pockets)
For the Tzatziki Sauce:
2 (8 oz.) containers of plain yogurt
1 regular cucumbers, peeled & seeded
1 1/2 cloves minced garlic
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon dried dill ( I omitted and it still tasted fine)
dash of salt and pepper
1. Place chicken in a ziploc bag.
2. Mix marinade ingredients together and pour over chicken. Marinade for at least one hour. (The longer the better.)
3. While chicken is marinading make your tzatziki sauce. Simply mix all ingredients from above together. Chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
3. Add 2 tbsp olive oil to skillet and turn on medium heat. While skillet is heating up slice chicken breasts into strips. ( I did this to cut down on the cooking time.)
4. Cook chicken in skillet until cooked through. Probably about 6 -8 minutes.
5. While chicken is cooking heat your pita bread up. I simply put mine in a frying pan for one minute on each side. If you have gas burners you could put right over a low flame.
6. To assemble, spread generous amount of tzatziki sauce on pita. Add chicken slices and top with tomato, cucumbers, and lettuce.
7. Serve hot with fries and sliced cucumbers.
Welcome to Cooking For One Recipes ! This series is designed for those of us who don’t need recipes for big meals- just enough for one person to eat without a ton of leftovers. Or, if you are feeding a large family, you can certainly alter the recipes to whatever amount of people you need!
Article printed from A Frugal Chick: http://www.afrugalchick.com
URL to article: http://www.afrugalchick.com/cooking-for-one-chicken-gyros/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/button/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.afrugalchick.com%2Fcooking-for-one-chicken-gyros%2F&media=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.afrugalchick.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F06%2Fchicken-gyro-recipe-682x1024.jpg&description=Chicken%20Gyro%20Recipe%20%7C%20A%20Frugal%20Chick
 Image: http://www.afrugalchick.com/cooking-for-one-chicken-gyros/ingredients-7/
 Image: http://www.afrugalchick.com/cooking-for-one-chicken-gyros/sauce/
 Cooking For One Recipes: http://www.afrugalchick.com/category/cooking-for-one-recipes/
 Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/afrugalchick/
 Print: http://www.afrugalchick.com/easyrecipe-print/63890-0/
Copyright © 2013 A Frugal Chick. All rights reserved.