- A Frugal Chick - http://www.afrugalchick.com -
Cooking For One: Chicken Gyros
Posted By Jana On June 26, 2013 @ 8:08 am In Cooking For One Recipes | Comments Disabled
Welcome to Cooking For One Recipes ! This series is designed for those of us who don’t need recipes for big meals- just enough for one person to eat without a ton of leftovers. Or, if you are feeding a large family, you can certainly alter the recipes to whatever amount of people you need!
We have had quite a few cucumbers ripen in our garden this week and I wanted to use them in a way that was not just a dipping stick for ranch dressing. Remembering back to the Gyros I had at the Greek Festival last month I thought I would try to recreate a gyro at home.
Here is my version of a Greek Gyro.
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/8 cup diced onions
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp dried oregano
dash of salt and pepper
1 pack pita bread (not the kind with pockets)
2 (8 oz.) containers of plain yogurt
1 regular cucumbers, peeled & seeded
1 1/2 cloves minced garlic
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon dried dill ( I omitted and it still tasted fine)
dash of salt and pepper
1. Place chicken in a ziploc bag.
2. Mix marinade ingredients together and pour over chicken. Marinade for at least one hour. (The longer the better.)
3. While chicken is marinading make your tzatziki sauce. Simply mix all ingredients from above together. Chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
3. Add 2 tbsp olive oil to skillet and turn on medium heat. While skillet is heating up slice chicken breasts into strips. ( I did this to cut down on the cooking time.)
4. Cook chicken in skillet until cooked through. Probably about 6 -8 minutes.
5. While chicken is cooking heat your pita bread up. I simply put mine in a frying pan for one minute on each side. If you have gas burners you could put write over a low flame.
6. To assemble, spread generous amount of tzatziki sauce on pita. Add chicken slices and top with tomato, cucumbers, and lettuce.
7. Serve hot with fries and sliced cucumbers.
Article printed from A Frugal Chick: http://www.afrugalchick.com
URL to article: http://www.afrugalchick.com/cooking-for-one-chicken-gyros/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://pinterest.com/pin/create/button/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.afrugalchick.com%2F%3Fp%3D63890&media=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.afrugalchick.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F06%2Ffinal3.jpg&description=Easy%20Chicken%20Gyros%20
 Cooking For One Recipes: http://www.afrugalchick.com/category/cooking-for-one-recipes/
 Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/afrugalchick/
 Image: http://www.afrugalchick.com/cooking-for-one-chicken-gyros/ingredients-7/
 Image: http://www.afrugalchick.com/cooking-for-one-chicken-gyros/sauce/
Copyright © 2013 A Frugal Chick. All rights reserved.